More than half the population has reported having a dream or intuition that later came true. Dossey has examined thousands of anecdotes along with the growing mountain of research, and brings amazing stories, compelling data, and fascinating theories about what it all means for us as individuals, and as a species. You’ll hear about the fifteen choir members, who just happened to show up late the night the church exploded, and the woman who won the lottery because of a dream premonition – twice. But for Dr. Dossey, these are much more than great water cooler stories. Collectively, he sees them as one more clue that we’re all connected, each of us part of a great continuum that extends beyond space and time. He explains, “We are agonizing our way into a new model of consciousness. We’re going to finally outlive this materialistic, reductionistic idea of equating consciousness purely with the brain. There are many categories of evidence favoring premonitions. We’re going to have a model of consciousness that is nonlocal, pointing toward immortality, eternality, and an essentially spiritual view of who we are.”
Larry Dossey, M.D. is a distinguished Texas physician deeply rooted in the scientific world, and has become an internationally influential advocate of the role of the mind in health and the role of spirituality in healthcare. He served as a battalion surgeon in Vietnam, where he was decorated for valor. Dr. Dossey helped establish the Dallas Diagnostic Association, the largest group of internal medicine practitioners in that city, and was Chief of Staff of Medical City Dallas Hospital in 1982. He is the Executive Editor of Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing, served as co-chair of the Panel on Mind/Body Interventions of the NIH Office of Alternative Medicine, and served on Hillary Rodham Clinton’s task force on health care reform in 1993. In 2013, Dr. Dossey received the prestigious Visionary Award that honors a pioneer whose visionary ideas have shaped integrative healthcare and the medical profession.
He’s the author of numerous articles and many books, including:
- Recovering the Soul: A Scientific and Spiritual Approach (Bantam 1989)
- Prayer Is Good Medicine: How to Reap the Healing Benefits of Prayer (HarperOne 1997)
- Reinventing Medicine: Beyond Mind-Body to a New Era of Healing (HarperSanFrancisco 1999)
- The Extraordinary Healing Power of Ordinary Things: Fourteen Natural Steps to Health and Happiness (Harmony 2006)
- The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives (Dutton 2009)
To learn more about the work of Dr. Larry Dossey go to www.dosseydossey.com.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- What you can do to enhance your intuitive powers
- Why precognition may have evolutionary benefits for our species
- Why having a premonition can give your life a new sense of purpose
- Why the four planes that crashed on 9/11 were eighty percent vacant
- How you can invite premonitions into your life, and make them more likely to show up
Program Number: 3313 Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 6/11/2009