Enter the molecular world of biology, where mushrooms have built a communication network that rivals the Internet and “everything is somebody’s lunch.” In this dialogue you’ll meet two brilliant “bioneers,” Kenny Ausubel and his partner, Nina Simons, who are using nature to heal nature in the battle to restore the Earth from “suicide genes” and “terminator technology.” These impassioned pioneers take a hard look at the current destruction of our biological systems and present a positive vision for their restoration. The two are co-creators of the Bioneers Conference, a yearly gathering of visionaries from many disciplines to guide society to a future environment of hope, because “the loss of diversity is no accident.”
Ausubel is an award -winning filmmaker, writer, and the author of Seeds of Change: The Living Treasure (HarperSanFrancisco 1994) and Restoring the Earth: Visionary Solutions from the Bioneers (Kramer 1997). Ausubel and Simons are co-executive directors of the Collective Heritage Institute.
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How a horse discovered a cure for cancer
- The consciousness of plants. Can they hear your prayers?
- Sonic bloom: sound waves that enhance plant growth
- “Suicide genes” that can destroy the key biological system on Earth
- A fungus that renders biological-weapons chemicals completely harmless
- How wetlands function as the kidneys of our planet
- When a tree falls in the forest, who hears it first
- The mysterious intelligence of mushrooms
Program Number: 2764 Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 2/19/1999