Khephra Burns and Susan Taylor spend their lives seeking ways to help make our world a better place and their optimism and energy will inspire and motivate you to do the same. We often think of the spiritual path as a solitary walk toward inner peace; Burns and Taylor bring up the possibility that spirituality is more than that: “Maybe it’s about accepting challenges — diving into the wreck, getting involved and doing something.” We all know life is full of problems, but, as Burns declares, those very challenges present the opportunity for us to develop and grow: “We are where we are and who we are because of the challenges that we face and overcome.” Let Burns and Taylor show you the way to “take the reins of your life in your own two hands” and find the fulfillment that comes, not from acquiring more and more material things, but from being useful in the world.
Susan L. Taylor is editor in chief of Essence magazine and bestselling author of Lessons in Living (Double Day 1995) and In the Spirit (Harper Collins 1994) and her husband, Khephra Burns is a professional television and magazine writer. They are co-editors of Confirmation: The Spiritual Wisdom That Has Shaped Our Lives (Anchor Books 1997).
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How you can start making the world a better place today and everyday
- How your personal relationships are vehicles for growth and development
- Realizing you are more than what’s in the mirror
- Transformative experiences and how to recognize them
- How spirit lives in our everyday life
- A different definition of what spirituality means
- How to accept and overcome the challenges that come your way
- Understanding the true nature of leadership
- Becoming the change you want to see in the world
- Where true comfort comes from
- Holding ourselves and our government to a higher moral standard
Program Number: 2630 Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 5/8/1997