Though he began his academic career in the Catholic Seminary, it was Bernard Haisch’s passion for astrophysics that set the course for his professional life. While he may have left the priesthood behind, he never left behind the fundamental questions: Is there really a God?; What am I?; and What is my Destiny? He has spent three decades as a professional scientist and a lifetime as a seeker. Through twists and turns, he has arrived at a worldview that offers a satisfying and hopeful explanation of what’s behind it all. “I see God as a macro-designer; one whose ideas become the laws of physics.” His ideas are the thoughts of an inquisitive but open-minded scientist and here in this dialogue he presents a promising intellectual as well as humanitarian theory of how the gap between science and religion is thinner than one might believe. (hosted by Craig Hamilton)
Bernard Haisch is the author of over 130 scientific publications and he served for ten years as a scientific editor of The Astrophysical Journal and The Journal of Scientific Exploration. His professional positions include deputy director of the Center for Extreme Ultraviolet Astrophysics at U.C Berkeley and visiting scientist at the Max Planc Institute für Extraterrestrische Physik in Garching, Germany. Prior to his career in astrophysics, Haisch attended the St. Meinrad Seminary as a student for the Catholic priesthood.
His books include:
- The God Theory: Universes, Zero-point Fields, And What’s Behind It All (Weiser Books 2006)
- The Purpose-Guided Universe: Believing in Einstein, Darwin, and God (New Page Books 2012)
To learn more about the work of Bernard Haisch go to www.thegodtheory.com.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- What would you do with infinite potential, an unlimited ability to do anything
- How does consciousness arise out of matter
- What are the universal physical constants and how do they affect us
- How can science and spirituality be bridged
- What is the zero-point field in physics
- How believing and embracing karma could be the best vaccine against the virus of insanity facing our world today
- How can one have spirituality without religion
- What is religious scienticism and where does it fit in with you
Host: Craig Hamilton Interview Date: 6/28/2006 Program Number: 3159