There are now some 43 million women in America over 50. With the help of goddess archetypes that every woman can cultivate within herself – older women can revolutionize the way they live and the way they are seen by society. Bolen suggests specific goddess archetypes that embody compassion, fierceness, humor and wisdom in older women. (hosted by Justine Willis Toms)
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D. is a psychiatrist, Jungian analyst, and an internationally known author and speaker. She is a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a former clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California at San Francisco, a past board member of the Ms. Foundation for Women and the International Transpersonal Association. She was a recipient of the Institute for Health and Healing’s “Pioneers in Art, Science, and the Soul of Healing Award”, and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She was in two acclaimed documentaries, the Academy-Award winning anti-nuclear proliferation film Women—For America, For the World, and the Canadian Film Board’s Goddess Remembered. The Millionth Circle Initiative was inspired by her book and led to her involvement at the UN. She is the initiator and the leading advocate for a UN 5th World Conference on Women, which was supported by the Secretary General and the President of the General Assembly on March 8, 2012.
Her books include:
- Crones Don’t Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women (Conari 2003)
- The Millionth Circle: How to Change Ourselves and The World–The Essential Guide to Women’s Circles (Conari 1999)
- Goddesses in Every Woman: A New Psychology of Women (HarperCollins 1984)
- Urgent Message From Mother: Gather The Women, Save The World (Conari Press 2005)
To learn more about the work of Jean Shinoda Bolen go to www.jeanshinodabolen.com.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- Why older women are most able to make a difference on the planet
- Different qualities of wisdom as embodied by individual Goddesses
- How solitude connects us with the wisdom within
- What are the wonders of fierce and humorous Goddesses
- Which Goddesses represent compassion
- What is the difference between compassion and co-dependency
Host: Justine Willis Toms Interview Date: 1/19/2001 Program Number: 2852