New Society Press is a vanguard among publishers of socially relevant books. Not only does this small Canadian company produce books that pave the way to a more responsible and sustainable way of life – it is also a company that walks its talk. As Judith explains, “So often people come to us and say, ‘Which is the book that’s going to tell me what to do?’ We’re taking that seriously. Even in our own lives we’re looking for solutions. So we’re a solutions oriented press. That’s our mantra.” From a humanistic approach to staffing, to a commitment to tree-free publishing that is revolutionizing the industry, New Society is dedicated to finding ways to make the message it delivers on the printed page a reality, here and now. In this intriguing behind-the-scenes look at what goes into creating great books, co-directors Judith and Chris Plant candidly share their almost serendipitous entry into the world of book publishing, and the unfolding process of making New Society Press a meaningful entity in their personal lives and in our culture.
Judith and Chris Plant are co-directors of New Society Publishers. Judith serves as publisher and marketing director, while Chris is acquisitions editor.
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How books help you monitor and prepare for the changing face of our society
- What is a socially responsible approach to publishing
- How publishers mold societal trends
- How to overcome obstacles to printing books on recycled paper
- The potential need to replace printed books with electronic books
- How you can support the need for the reemergence of independent book stores
Program Number: 3003 Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 8/22/2003