Prepare to have your current understanding of money completely transformed in this stirring dialogue with Bernard Lietaer. Through his exploration into how our monetary system was originally created, and into new forms of currency at work in the world today (try “caring relationship tickets,” for starters), Lietaer reveals how we can enter a new era of “sustainable abundance” for all. Best of all, you will find out how to make this happen in your own life.
Currently a research fellow at the Center for Sustainable Resources at the University of California, Berkeley, Lietaer has been an engineer, university professor, currency trader and fund manager. He has just finished his seventh book, The Future of Money: New Ways to Wealth, Work and a Wiser World and is currently working on his next book, The Mystery of Money: Beyond Greed and Scarcity.
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- The origins of money
- How to change the nature of money in your life
- What money has to do with your own spiritual quest
- Ideas for starting a new form of currency in your own community
- How money is actually created by banks
- Frequent flyer mile-corporate currency in the making
- How we can create local currencies to complement our monetary system
- The surprising ways that money relates to death and sex in our society
- Get ready: Money is coming out of the closet!
Program Number: 2760 Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 2/10/1999