Meet a man who has helped set up hospitals, famine relief programs, schools and communities for orphaned and blind children on five continents: Thom Hartmann. He describes scenes that may bring tears to your eyes, but will awaken your heart to matters that cry out for our attention. Hartmann explores the difficult choices we face today in light of sobering statistics: “In the last 24 hours, 45,000 people have died of starvation on this planet; 38,000 of them children.” What can we do about it? The answer lies in a new ecology of spirit and sustainability. Hartmann’s quiet passion will inspire the kind of personal awakening that not only leads to planetary transformation but the fulfillment of our highest aspirations as human beings.
Hartmann is the author of The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: Waking Up to Personal & Global Transformation (Harmony 1999), The Prophet’s Way: Touching the Power of Life (Mythical Books 1997), and The Greatest Spiritual Secret of the Century (Hampton Roads 2000).
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How to regain your connection to the environment, your origins and your spiritual self
- What the “buy more, be more” mentality is doing to our planet
- How you can reverse the process of excessive consumerism
- The difference between knowledge and wisdom
- A surprising solution to overpopulation
- Why some “primitive” cultures are actually more sophisticated than our own
- Powerful lessons from ancient and modern-day tribal societies
- Why initiation rites are so beneficial as we move through the stages of life
Program Number: 2807 Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 2/11/2000