Cohen says the traditional notion of enlightenment, self-transcendence, needs to be “re-contextualized in relationship to our ever growing scientific understanding of the evolving cosmos in which we are living. . . We need to understand that we are actually part of evolutionary enlightenment, so we can be vehicles for evolution at the level of consciousness and culture.” He asks the question, “Why would God create the universe, so that 14 billion years later human beings could emerge and eventually realize the ultimate spiritual goal was to escape from the whole process and disappear?” In this conversation he describes how we can cultivate a living relationship with a future that has meaning, purpose, and direction, and the steps we can take to move toward that end. (hosted by Michael Toms)
Andrew Cohen is a spiritual teacher, cultural visionary, and founder of the global nonprofit, EnlightenNext and its award winning publication EnlightenNext Magazine. After a transformative meeting with the late renown Advaita Vedanta H.W.L.Poonja in 1986, Cohen began teaching internationally and immediately started reshaping the larger cultural conversation about the purpose and significance of enlightenment in our time.
He’s the author of many books, including:
- Living Enlightenment: A Call for Evolution Beyond Ego (EnlightenNext Inc. 2002)
- Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening (Selectbooks 2011)
To learn more about the work of Andrew Cohen go to www.andrewcohen.org.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- What is the evolutionary impulse that is driving our species
- What was Cohen’s first trans-rational glimpse of the universe
- What did Cohen learn from his early teacher, the late H.W.L. Poonja, “Poongaji”
- What is the “traditional” form of enlightenment
- How is the world of form going somewhere rather than stuck in a repetitious cycle
- How the materialist point of view leaves us with spiritual uncertainty
- What are the social and cultural implications of enlightenment
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 10/19/2011 Program Number: 3413