“It is time to ‘gather the women’ – for only when women are strong together can women be fiercely protective of what we love.” Jungian therapist and author, Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D. heard this call and was moved to write Urgent Message From Mother: Gather the Women, Save the World, exploring the untapped power of women coming together to change our world. Her work has drawn from the Sacred Feminine, which both women and men embody into consciousness and culture. Bolen wants every child in the world to be wanted, to be fed, to be safe, have healthcare and be able to grow, and women, she believes, are the ones to bring it about. “I’m not speaking of the need for women to run the world; I’m saying that women need to speak up, speak the truth, in order to bring balance into the world.” She speaks about the differences between objectivity and the ability to strategize with the feminine realm of empathy, connectedness and nurturing and how, at this time, our world needs the combination of each. (hosted by Bec Kageyama)
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D. is a psychiatrist, Jungian analyst, and an internationally known author and speaker. She is a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a former clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California at San Francisco, a past board member of the Ms. Foundation for Women and the International Transpersonal Association. She was a recipient of the Institute for Health and Healing’s “Pioneers in Art, Science, and the Soul of Healing Award”, and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She was in two acclaimed documentaries, the Academy-Award winning anti-nuclear proliferation film Women—For America, For the World, and the Canadian Film Board’s Goddess Remembered. The Millionth Circle Initiative was inspired by her book and led to her involvement at the UN. She is the initiator and the leading advocate for a UN 5th World Conference on Women, which was supported by the Secretary General and the President of the General Assembly on March 8, 2012.
Her books include:
- Crones Don’t Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women (Conari 2003)
- The Millionth Circle: How to Change Ourselves and The World–The Essential Guide to Women’s Circles (Conari 1999)
- Goddesses in Every Woman: A New Psychology of Women (HarperCollins 1984)
- Urgent Message From Mother: Gather The Women, Save The World (Conari Press 2005)
To learn more about the work of Jean Shinoda Bolen go to www.jeanshinodabolen.com.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- How are women changing the story
- How women’s circles can bring peace to the world
- When solutions evolve out of grassroots conversations.
- What is the difference between Tend and Befriend and Flight or Fight
- What if the women of the world decided how the budget of the world was spent
- Why do women need to speak the truth
Host: Bec Kageyama Interview Date: 7/27/2005 Program Number: 3101